Thursday, May 14, 2009

Meyer Lemon Martinis: This One's For You, Mom.


My mom is a martini woman. Not the spine-straightening vodka and vermouth type; that's my Uncle Frank's specialty. Jeweled, slightly sweet and tingly refreshing drinks like cosmopolitans are more her style. When I come home to visit we usually spend an evening sitting at the kitchen counter, sipping cocktails. It's always wonderfully relaxing. Here is a drink I think she'll like.

One of my best friends from college, Jasmin, lives across the bay in San Francisco. We try to get together a couple of times a month for dinner and drinks. This weekend I hosted and was trying to decide what to make for dessert. Our apartment building has a Meyer lemon tree in the backyard (pictured) which is currently producing copious amounts of lemons and consequently everything I am cooking lately features lemons. I decided that dessert should be lemon-centric but nothing I saw on the internet or in my cookbooks looked either appealing or easy enough to be worth making. Then an idea occurred to me: who needs dessert when you can make cocktails?! A visit to Google and a few clicks later I had a recipe for Meyer lemon martinis, which I've reproduced below. Mmmmm, Mmmmm, they were delicious!

Meyer Lemon Martinis
2 oz Vodka
.75 oz meyer lemon juice
.5 oz lemon-infused simple syrup (instructions below, increase to .75 oz if using normal lemons)
* a shot glass is 1.5 oz

Mix, shake, and pour, that's all there is too it! To serve I ran a squeezed lemon half around the rim of our flared-mouth wine glasses and then coated the rims with sugar.

Lemon-infused Simple Syrup

2 parts water
1 part sugar
lemon zest to taste (I put one lemon's worth of zest in 1.5 cups of water)

Put the water, sugar and lemon zest in a pot, stir until the sugar is dissolved and heat until just boiling. Take off the heat and let cool, strain and store in the fridge.

3 comments:

  1. sweet fancy Moses, these martinis were so incredibly good. I can still taste them. amazing!

    Miro suggested we make meyer lemon sorbet too. since it tastes better after it sits for a day, maybe I could grab some from you (if there are any left), and then have you guys over for dinner the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, that would be so good! There are still lots of lemons left. How many do you think you would need?

    ReplyDelete